Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Disconnected





“All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.” ~Henry Ellis
Still dealing with the fresh wound of having to put down my Best Friend slash heroic feline sidekick Pretty, I seem to have become moderately inept.

Sure I can still spin around (metaphorically of course) and find my inner Wonder Woman; but presently, it’s more the equivalent of twirling to become a Super Hero, only to find that looking down, I have no bullet-blocking bracelets nor lasso of truth!

And such as been my recent dilemma with technological crap.

“Program information runs out on 6/5!” my TiVo shot me a panic warning message three days ago.  “Connect to the TiVo service now!” it threatened me before randomly rebooting itself in the middle of a movie on TBS.

Oh, FFS…

And patiently awaiting the box to restart itself, I did as I was told; a yellow light clicking on to tell me that I’d successfully allowed the box to access my land line and upload the necessary info.

“Go back (connecting will continue…)” the stupid box prompted me, as I stupidly went back to my movie before the next unannounced shut down and reboot happened again.

“Program information runs out on 6/5! Connect to the TiVo service now!”

Oh, FFS…

Suffice it to say, I tried at least five different phone numbers offered out of the thirty or so suggested on the screen, and after every single freaking attempt ten times over in one night, still NOTHING.

And checking the messages and settings, I sighed wearily at every upload that was denounced as a “FAIL”.

"Program information runs out on 6/5!  Connect to the TiVo service now!”

>>><<< 

I’ll never understand why the Universe feels the need to kick you when you’re down… 

I’ve not yet been able to bring my kitty’s ashes home; my car died my first real day out of the house; and then to sucker-punch me with the idea that my satanic DVR had the ability to whisk me out of a much-needed hour or two of a mindless escape???

Aw, C’MON!  It was Will Smith in Independence Day!

And maybe it’s the grief typing here, but do you see the resemblance?!?!  (NO, not to Will Smith, but to the ALIEN!  OOH, my heroic feline sidekick could play ANY role!!!)




>>><<<

Hopping on a small pony (I’m not yet steady enough to ride one of my High Horses from “Penny’s Barn of Righteous Indignation”); we saddled up to type a full, “I’ll have you know” old-fashioned finger-wagging email to my service provider.  “My account is up to date, and this is unacceptable!” I wrote whole-heartedly before taking a deep breath and immediately deleting every harsh word.

And with a re-thought pleasant inquiry sent, I learned that as my system doesn’t particularly upload or download (or whatever) from a faster computer network, it simply took a few more tries to get the necessary information.

Hmmm…

Not sure that such words of wisdom had ever been flung my way from a "do not reply" email! 

>>><<< 

While I’ve been turning off my cell phone most nights as I really don’t want to be woken up by obnoxious FAX machines, or the fresh new hell of being SPAMMED with photos that I apparently have to pay for from phone numbers I don’t know and that my ancient flip phone can’t block; I am beginning to reach out to more family and friends.

It’s a slow process to accept the loss of Pretty.

But I hope to be able to reconnect with you all soon. 

~P 


No comments: