Monday, December 20, 2010

Perky!


“Ooh, it’s sooo verrrry nice to meet you!” I gushed unprofessionally, my sweaty palms shaking her hand far too long; my diligently repressed Ethel Mertz persona bubbling uncontrollably to the surface, horrifically betraying my starry-eyed gazing at a real live Movie Star making a special guest appearance on our TV show.
“Penny, let’s have you stand-in for the anorexic teen model in these three scenes until we get the other actress on Wednesday” our Director proposed, orchestrating the blocking wherein I would have the opportunity of a lifetime to perform with said Movie Star.
“OKayyeE-E-E-E!” I piped up in some sort of alien dolphin-esque warble.
But thankfully after years of working in show business, I do tend to snap to attention when I hear the word “ACTION!” And rehearsing our first scene together was surprisingly easy peasy. By scenes two and three that she was appearing in I felt like we were pals, having exchanged dialogue, gotten laughs at a Producer Run-Thru, and if I knew how to Twit or Book a Face, I was certain that she and I would be BFs. (Mock my technological savvy if you will, but even Captain Steven Hiller* accidentally backed the ship up…)
While my job may require actual acting on any given occasion without so much as a minute warning wherein one can only hope to make the crew laugh while you’re reading a script “cold” (i.e. having never performed the scene before, but now you need to replicate it to the best of your abilities out loud and in brutal zit-enhancing microscopic High Def), there is also the dreary technical aspect of tedious camera-blocking.
Frankly the whole process tends to vampirifically suck the life out of the crew as my fellow Stand-Ins and I spend endless amounts of time STARING at each other while the Director makes adjustments and the DP checks the lighting.
But prepped for pre-shoots and more than happy to stand-in for herself, I found myself suddenly staring eye-to-eye with the aforementioned Movie Star in full make-up, hair and wardrobe.
And who should emerge on my behalf, but freakin’ Ethel Mertz…
“You look sooo beautiful!” I gushed once again.
“Thank you” the veteran Actress (my age) whispered, quietly meeting my gaze and waiting patiently for instructions from our Director.
>>><<<
Perhaps my encounter with the Movie Star had provided me with a new sense of self-awareness. Perhaps I had learned that the playing field was more level than I thought and that all of us are equals as human beings.
Or perhaps my eleventy-third cocktail on a Friday night before Christmas hiatus provided me with just enough stupid liquid courage to send my blog link to my favorite Author, Christopher Moore.
And I, in true Ethel Mertz form, vodka-logically typed the following:

 Hi Author Guy,

As a loyal fan of your writing and a die-hard enthusiast, I just wanted to say thanks for your ridiculously brilliantly warped brain. 

I work in Hollywood on television sit-coms, and have now effectively drawn a new following of "lambs" (if you will) into the Collective of Christopher Moore Admirers who are buying your books like nylons and chocolates. 

I even encouraged a few of them to write to you via this email address, and every single one was absolutely astonished that you replied to them quicker than any of their family members. (Thanks for living up to your hype Mr. Moore!)

I HIGHLY doubt that you would ever have time to read something as simple as a blog even though you are my inspiration as a writer, but here's my link nonetheless:


By the way, I was handed a Carl Hiaasen novel in exchange for "A Dirty Job"...

No offense to Mr. Hiaasen, but he doesn't even begin to hold a candle to you!

With admiration and best wishes for Happy Holidays,

Penny


What I neglected to remember however, was the fact that Mr. Moore always responds to his fan mail…
Penny:

I liked your blog. It's very, well, perky. And I mean that in the nicest way. If I had to work in Hollywood I'd probably have a collection of human heads and one of those bulletin boards with the yarn and the Polaroids showing the progress of my collection of people who had flipped me just a little too much shit on their way to being headless.

So, you know, props to you for toughing it out with a good attitude. It's probably best I'm not working down there. But you seem to be doing fine.

Have a great holiday break. I'll be finishing up a book. (And working on my map. Oh no, Mr. Hardware Store Guy, I don't think you will be condescending to me again over which kind of washer I need for my drippy kitchen faucet. Here, let me take your picture...)

Onward!
Chris

>>><<<
Hmmm…
So my blog has been deemed “perky” by a professional writer, albeit a potential serial killer…?
Well, Merry Christmas to ME!!!
Gushing unabashedly and wishing you all Happy Holidays,
~"Perky Ethel P!"
(*p.s. That’s the only clue you get, C2.)

7 comments:

Pete said...

EASY PEASY, Gal it'z bin awhile since I'z heard dat one.....lols.
Yez der wurd ACTION seemz ter infer gittin off one's behing 'n doin sumting, don't it????? He He Heh...

Waz dat Cheistopher or Roger Moore, cain't seemz ter recall a Christopher......dayzed 'n confuzed I'z iz....Gal!
Gudonya Penny, Happy Holidayz ter U too 'n without further ado, Merry Christmas & A Happy & Prosperous New Year,. Gal.
LOL & God Bless,
Pete.

C2 said...

Oh, you crack me up, Pen! How did you know I couldn't wait to get to the end so that I could (predictably) send you an email and ask you who it was??? So, you leave me with a hint....hmmmm. I need to put my Sherlock Holmes hat and figure it out! Fun!!!!! I'll let you know if I figure it out!
I hope you frame your email from Mr. Moore! :)

C2 said...

Ooooh, Pat...I'd like to try to solve the puzzle, please. Is her last name 5 letters and ends in an H? OMG, if it is....

Penny said...

Hi Pete and Happy Holidays to you as well! Thanks for yet another challenging comment for me to decipher! Best wishes to you and your family. :)

As to YOU, C2...
Tut tut! I gave you everything you needed to know, but I'm sounding the buzzer on your solution... ANHH! Care to spin the wheel again???
xoxo,
~P

C2 said...

Okay, I'll ask you then, Vanna, since I didn't get anywhere with Pat. My second guess is...is her last name the same as mine? doodoodoodoo doodoodoo...oh wait, wrong theme song. That's Jeopardy...

Trixie said...

YAY!!! C. Moore rings the bell again! I like THAT guy!
And since I'm proud to be one of your "lambs", I can admit that 10 minutes ago, I bought "FOOL" on my nerd-o Kindle and will begin another CM book tonight!

Penny said...

Atta girl, Trixie!

(I really should be asking CM for a commission...)

:D