Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Hibernation Paradox


As a highly skilled professional in the television entertainment business thriving in Los Angeles, I’ve become accustomed to the general lack of work that doesn’t often occur around the Holidays. 
No matter, really, as I’d scarfed down enough food from Craft Services on my last two shows to sustain me through the “brutal” California winter, and with a gentle turning up of the thermometer in my bat-cave as the weather menaced the area (43 degrees???), I threw an extra blanket on the bed (Brrr!) and settled in for a long winter’s nap with my kitty.
I had shown up for five (count ‘em, FIVE!) Holiday celebrations; and I could finally rest in peace (if you will).
>>><<<
Unfortunately however, neither my stomach, The Universe nor my cat got the memo:
#1.  As it turns out, no matter how much bacon you think you’ve stored up, you still have to eat every day.  (Aww, c’mon!)
#2.  January is apparently the time for every obnoxious professionally trained telephone solicitor to call out of the blue with a credit card offer for the New Year.  I’m more than happy to be polite (they’re just doing their jobs), but seriously!  No calls before noon!  (Um, well, preferably 2:30pm…) But still, NOT INTERESTED!!!
#3.  If you choose to open up your home and rescue a cat, know in advance that 16 years down the road you will be pawed mercilessly on the face for a saucer of milk at all hours of the morning by a ball of fur who supposedly sleeps 22 hours a day, yet will determine your worthiness as being functional with opposable thumbs in access to the great white nectar; or sanctioned to be just a meat carcass to be sampled and eventually devoured in your sleep for refusing to wake up and pour some moo juice...
With a blanket over my head until mid January,
~Hibernation Queen P

No comments: