Monday, September 17, 2012

The Social Butterfly Effect


 
Relieved to discover that actual blood wasn’t streaming down my arm, I secured a bag full of flowers onto Cecilia’s (my 1997 Toyota Tercel CE) front seat and strapped them in with the passenger’s safety belt.  Giant pink lily gunk had streaked all over me (what did I ever do to piss off their stamens?), as I saw a strange note fall out of Cecilia’s door.

“Aloha,” it read.  “Do you have any interest in selling your lovely car” someone named Beverly wanted to know.
Frankly, Cecilia and I were flattered by the billet-doux, but as she’s been on television three times already, Cecilia has become quite accustomed to fan mail.

Meanwhile, traipsing back into my home for my purse, washing pollen off of my arm and checking my watch, I was looking forward to a “Ladies Who Lunch” Birthday party brunch at a charming establishment just off of Vine Street in Hollywood.
I’d already procured the aforementioned lilies (all pink) for one friend, a delightful bouquet of purple calla lilies for another celebrant, and even small token roses in tiny square vases for the other women (whom I didn’t want to feel left out).  And arriving to the Valet parking early in order to unload, I asked where I was supposed to angle Cecilia.

“It’s Valet only” he reminded me, pointing at the kiosk.
(Good grief, had I not properly socialized in so long during my vacation that I forgot that they just take your car?!?!)

“Yes of course” I smiled, unlatching the bouquets and exiting my vehicle with the abundance of flowers.  And stuffing the ticket into my handbag, I watched uncomfortably/protectively as a complete stranger hopped into the driver’s seat and motored away to a neighboring lot.
>>><<< 

Approximately two and a half hours later (with the lovely addition of another lady I’d never met before, yet we all work in Hollywood show business and had many stories to share), I reluctantly dismissed myself from the table after our celebratory brunch and a communal chocolate soufflé with individual cups of real whipped cream.  (DEE-LISH!!!)
But I admit I had some things on my mind.

My “Ladies Who Lunch” had been a plethora of resources assisting me with my new cell phone (not the predominate technology, so my simpler cell was a breeze to them); but I was still a wee bit panicky as to whether or not Best Buy could retrieve and upload my contacts.  And with love, hugs and half of a gigantic bacon cheeseburger in a doggie bag, I headed out to retrieve Cecilia.
“Would that be the green car?” Mr. Valet wondered as I nodded proudly.  And upon leaping out and opening the door politely for me, I paid the man as necessary before driving off.

“Good grief…  You reek of cheap, pungent cologne!” I snarfled to my automobile, who apparently did not disagree.  And whipping Cecilia’s A/C on high, we attempted to blast the stink out her carriage as we made our way down Santa Monica Boulevard.  “Do you mind if we make a couple of stops while we air you out?” I asked aloud, as Cecilia spectacularly concurred by ironically playing the band Weezer on her radio station.
Now whilst I’m not particularly proud of my half a pack a day addiction to smokey treats, I must say that after two and a half hours of lunching with the gals, I was JONESING for a ciggy.  And wheeling Cecilia into our local 7-Eleven for my American Spirit Menthol Lights (I know the owner, and he gives you a fair discount if you buy two packs at a time), I enjoyed a much desired cigarette which seemed to effectively remove the final stench of Mr. Valet hovering in her upholstery.  *whew!!!*

(You may think that ciggy smoke is vile; but Mr. Valet’s heavy cologne mixed with his sweat from a hot day???  I have three words for you, parking guy:  “Deodorant and Febreze!!!)  
“So, how about one last errand today to Best Buy to upload my contacts from my old phone?” I politely asked Cecilia; whom with her on-going intuitive timing began playing the song “Holiday” by Green Day.

As no parking spots were available on the street (yeah, no big surprise on a Sunday), we wound down into the bowels of the dank basement, and nestling Cecilia into a dank niche, I hoped the task wouldn’t take too long.  She’d already made herself perfectly clear by refusing any radio further contact underground, and sulking in the structure as I locked her door, I could almost swear I heard my car pout.
>>><<< 

Approximately three customers deep for the five Best Buy Mobile Employees, I stood patiently until I was eventually beckoned to the desk.  And confused beyond belief by my antiquated cell phone, the young girl assisting me found herself on a mission to figure out just how the heck the gizmo ever functioned!
But bound and determined to connect my ancient phone to the new model, she fiddled for about 45 minutes before eventually making the proper connections.  “I’m not sure what I just did” she admitted, “but I am NOT moving a muscle, because this is finally working” she sat immobilized as the gadgets interfaced with each other.

“I know, I know” I apologized.  “I haven’t upgraded in over eleven years” I sighed miserably, feeling like a doddering old fool.
“Oh my goodness…!” she squealed a few minutes later.

“What now?” I worried.  “Is this a lost cause?  Do I have to manually input all of my phone numbers?” I asked, bracing myself for the painful truth.
“NO!” she yelped.  “Everything is transferred, but WOW!!!  You have sooo many CONTACTS!!!” she gaped at me, all wide-eyed like she was staring at a cat video that’s gone viral on You Tube.

>>><<< 
Heading back to my automobile in the belly of the cavernous parking structure, I had to admit that I was feeling extraordinarily grateful.

I was a social butterfly!
I’d been out and about, and had fluttered my wings appropriately!  I even seemed to have acquired more friends and work connections over the last two decades than the tech assistant had in her combined social Medias!  And I don’t even Tweet!

And whilst my Ladies Lunch had cost me a tad more money than I’d anticipated (I had to bum a couple of bucks from my friend Jeannie to pay Mr. Stinky Valet and get my car out of hock), I was glad to have brought a bit of floral joy into the hearts of some friends that I love.
>>><<< 

Piling into Cecilia who was eager to get out of the bowels of the parking garage and back to her throngs of fans, we circled the up-ramps as she continued to deprive me of music until she saw the light of day.
“Are you kidding me?” I scoffed, as her radio finally kicked in with “Paradise City” by Guns N’ Roses.

“TAKE… ME… HOME…!” Axl Rose belted out of her dashboard.  (Yikes!)
>>><<< 

Now, for those of you (like me) who may be a tad rusty on your Physics (aside from the occasional episode of CSI or Big Bang on television), there exists Edward Lorenz’s theoretical  example of a hurricane’s formation that may be contingent on whether or not a distant butterfly had flapped its wings several weeks earlier.
“In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions, where a small change at one place in a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences to a later state.” ~Wikipedia

Was mine the simple act of procuring flowers to celebrate the joys of spending yet another of many Birthdays to come with people so dear to my heart?  Was it keeping the memories alive of all of my contacts – some who have passed away, but I can’t bring myself to delete their numbers?  Or was it merely the flapping of Cecilia’s Diva wings that altered The Cosmos???  (Seriously, we listen to Alternative Rock, not Heavy Metal!)
And gathering my snail mail, I bolted the door to the bat cave shut after a busy day whilst mindlessly sorting through the pile of postal deliveries.

“Not a bill, not a bill, not a bill… Hmmm…:  Two envelopes from the Residuals Department at SAG-AFTRA?  That’s odd” I scrunched my face in confusion, as one return address was printed in standard black and white, whilst the other gleamed tantalizingly in black and gold:
 


Suffice it to say (though it didn’t actually classify as a hurricane), I DID receive a small windfall in my mailbox!!!
Sending a warmest “Thank You!” to SAG-AFTRA for paying my next month’s rent!

And wishing you all a moment today to stop and smell the roses,

~Flutterbug P

 

No comments: