Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 25, 2012




It is with an extremely heavy heart that I pronounce the passing of my Companion, my Feline Sidekick, my Hero and my Best Friend Pretty…
While I’d rather not go into the details, Pretty and I went to the Vet today where she was diagnosed with multiple health problems.

>>><<<

“Whaaat?”  I asked to the empty spot next to me where Pretty used to sit and poke me in the face with her paw.
“I know you’re grieving, but could you not be so morbid?” the Essence of Pretty urged me.  “This is MY eulogy that you’re writing, and frankly, so far, it’s a real downer!” she huffed. 

“Um… Sorry…  I just really miss you already…!!!”  I sobbed.
“Yeah, yeah, I know, but still, is this the kind of drivel you want people to know about me?  I mean, how about the time you sat through that “Sex and the City” movie on TV and bawled like an infant?  Wasn’t I there for you?”

“You were!  You were!” I cried, remembering having to wipe stupid girly tears off of Pretty’s coat.
“And my sense of humor!  You have to memorialize that!” she added, as I recalled every moment of play time with a new toy or baffling ball of string.  “Seriously, was I anything but delightful when you opened Christmas presents and I played with all the ribbons?”

“You were!  You were!” I repeated, grabbing another tissue.  “But what was with the green yarn?” I wondered out of the blue.
“You wouldn’t understand – let that one go” she nodded.

“Oh, and that bendy thing with the feather on the end!” we shouted together happily, which Pretty had so magnificently shredded despite not even having front claws!
“Can I write about your love of plastic bags?” I asked quietly, not sure if I was pushing a boundary…

“What the heck.  I loved ‘em!  The smell, the texture, the crinkliness, and wearing them like a tutu since you always cut the ends open!  Best napping ever!” she smiled.
“You got it” I typed, finalizing my beloved Best Friend’s eulogy.  “Anything else I could add for you?”  I pondered, sobbing uncontrollably.

“Just unconditional Love.”

(Her old favorite napping position at our home!)


>>><<< 
We were together in the end as she lay down to sleep at the Vet.

I was truly blessed to share her life for the last sixteen and a half years.

I am missing her every single second, but I’m kind of sure she’s still by my side in her own way...

Written with Love,
~P

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you had to put Pretty down. That's always the hardest thing about owning a kitty. :(

C2 said...

I'm shedding some tears right along with you, dear. I was there when my friend put her dog down and I still sob when I even think about it. So hard. I know you'll miss your sidekick. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you! Love you!