Sunday, November 13, 2011

It's Been Fun!




Pumped full of giddy adrenaline like a child who grew a crucial inch taller over the summer and finally met the height chart for the humongous-est rollercoaster in the Amusement Park known as Hollywood Television, I buckled up securely for the long-anticipated ascent to the top of the crest and waited breathlessly for my premiere on my Network sit-com!
The tram seemed to take forever to get there, but with every moment approaching the apex, one or two (hundred) arm hairs stood at attention, ready to shriek with glee as I prepared to squeal in exhilaration!
Oh, I would be seen by approximately 12 million viewers!
Oh, my “STARmeter” on IMDb.com had already jumped up by 54,117!  (I don’t really know what that means, but it seemed exciting at the time...)
Oh, and my two scenes were just minutes away from airing on national TV!!!
And as every well-constructed carnival ride in Tinsel Town is prone to do, I experienced the sensation of glory slash nausea while watching my telecasted performance…
>>><<<
Not particularly fond of my on-camera presentation (I have serious control issues), and choosing to beat myself up ala “Whac-A-Mole” with an imaginary mallet, I braced myself for the flood of displeased email responses from about sixty friends who had promised to watch and/or record and watch later.
Dreading logging onto the poot with a full on Tilt-A-Whirl upset belly, I must say I was equally surprised and emotionally overwhelmed by the loving support, congratulations and well wishes from dozens of people;  as was my antiquated flip phone overwhelmed at receiving extended congratulatory text messages sent from Smart Phones with full qwerty capabilities!
Not only had I passed the height requirement, but I’d made it to the top of the rollercoaster and had nothing more than the thrill ride ahead!!!
>>><<<
*Ring*
Now whilst my antiquated cell phone may not possess all the hoo-ha apps available to the “I” world, nor can it revel in a game of angry birds or landing artificial aircrafts, it can at least discern a restricted caller’s ID with a unique ringtone – a thoughtful tool which has thus far prevented me from stupidly answering only once with “What’s up, Buttercup?” to a Producer.  (Oops!)
“Hi Pen” my UPM called with some unfortunate news.  “The Network has cut down their order to 13 episodes of our show; so our last day of production will be December 6th” she added sadly.  “Just wanted to give you a heads up so you can start making calls” she continued, thanking me for my work and apologizing that we wouldn’t be finishing the anticipated full season together in March.
And there it was…
The thrill was gone…
So long, Network:  Hello, Unemployment…
The rollercoaster had settled into its Tinsel Town Carnival housing, and I’d been given the time to unbuckle, embrace and kiss the sweet ride goodbye.
Frankly, there was only one thing left to do…
>>><<<
Shooting off an email to the first Producer to ever hire me in this crazy cotton-candy world with my newest availability should he need me on any production after December 6th, I sat weepy, dejected, and all around forlorn. 
*Ting!*
‘Yes, welcome back to our last series!  It starts Jan. 16.’  (I’m paraphrasing, but it looks like I’ve booked my next job!!!!!)
Strapping in for my next rollercoaster, but enjoying the current ride for now,
~Hands in the air P :)

(And THANK YOU my friends!)

3 comments:

C2 said...

Are your hands thrown up in the air as if on the Blue Streak at Cedar Point? Woooohoooo!!!! You did a great job on your show and now on to your next conquest! Just to let you know, too...I put a thing on facebook about your show and peeps like Whitney (remember I Hope Your Whitney when it's Over?) saw you and so did Kim Crum (she wants your autograph) and a bunch more peeps (like Greg Sweet...). Too fun!

Michael Taylor said...

You certainly have ridden that roller coaster this year, Penny. Talk about highs and lows...

I was really sorry to hear your show ended so abruptly -- the least they could have done was play out the string and shoot all the scheduled episodes. How thoughtful of them to cut everybody lose right before the holidays: Scrooge Incorporated. But it sounds like you're all set to catch another wave in January, and who knows what kind of a ride that will be. Personally, I'd like to see you land a regular or returning role as an actress in a sit-com. You've proven you can do the job, and it's about time that happened.

We're hearing disquieting rumors that although we might get picked up, it won't be for the back nine, but an as-yet undetermined number of episodes in six months. If that scenario plays out, we won't be able to start up until next June or July. A six month layoff is about five months more than I had in mind, but as we've all learned time and again, the Gods of Television are not concerned with the wants and needs of we puny mortals who toil in the shadows.

Just when we get used to that steady paycheck, it vanishes right before our startled eyes. Looks like your old crew will be staring at a bleak gray beginning to the New Year. Me, I plan on lts of heavy drinking to ward off the winter chill on unemployment.

Ah well, been there, done that. Life in Hollywood -- same as it ever was...

Penny said...

-> To my dearest C2,

LMFAO! Should I find myself under contract some day with a major studio, you are sooo hired as my Publicist! You're probably single-handedly responsible for the spike in my STARmeter!!! :D

Love you mucho!

***

-> To my friend Mike,

Thanks for your continued confidence in me, as well as the time you've taken to write on your blog about the "understudies who never go on". I'm blessed that I got my small speaking role early on in the season, and for that, I'm grateful!

After all, what's the key to success in comedy? TIMING! :D

Cheers to your show continuing, and hopefully I'll see you on the lot next year! :)