Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Cosmic Consternation of Compatibility (Part Two): "Down the Drain!"


 

“Well, if worse comes to worst, you can always pee in the sink!” my forever-searching- for-the silver-lining friend “Rose” in Wisconsin suggested helpfully.
(*Insert pregnant pause here, as I physically slapped my hand against my face ala Jack Benny at the horror of those particular shenanigans*...)

>>><<< 
In “hind-sight” (if you will), I recalled my singular summer abroad, studying the Fine Arts of Italian frescos, sculptures, architecture and literature in the glorious city of Florence, Italy; my exotic (albeit chaperoned) weekends to visit Pisa, Lucca, Bologna, Milan, San Gimignano, Carrara, Venice and of course Rome, wherein I not only had the incredible experience of actually taking Communion (I’m not Catholic) with none other than Pope John Paul II (I didn’t even burst into flames!) inside the holy walls of St. Peter’s Basilica (seriously, who could turn down sharing a spot of wine with the Pope?!), but also the opportunity to toss a few lucky lira into the Trevi Fountain.


Unfortunately, apparently this particular evening, the Trevi Fountain remembered me too...
Eying the geyser spewing forth from the back tank of my toilet, I wasn’t quite sure what to do other than throw lira.  But watching my bathroom fill up with nearly a quarter inch of water on the linoleum, I scooted my beloved skull rug out of the way, managed to re-cap the squirting thingamabob, grabbed a cup from the kitchen and effectively emptied out the tank into the sink before any real damage could occur.

*Phew!*
Granted, if I needed to use my facilities I could always refill the back tank with water for a proper flush, but quite frankly the situation was absolutely unacceptable! 

And shooting off a STRONGLY WORDED email to our new Property Management Supervisor, I went to sleep early in anticipation of immediate reparations the following morning.

>>><<< 
Awakened the next day by the incessant drip-drip-dripping noise of water filling up into my waste basket as the back tank had not only miraculously refilled itself overnight but had also begun spilling out through the toilet handle (FFS), I called and emailed the new Property Management Supervisor yet again.  (Voice mail.)  Additionally, ringing the land lines of Deceased Landlord’s Wife, and occasionally On-Site Deceased Landlord’s Sons, I continued to receive nothing more than answering machines.

(I never EVER thought I’d say this; but I actually MISSED my Crappy Landlord who was an ABSOLUTE WIZARD with duct tape!)
And that’s precisely when I chose to go old school.

Whipping open my monster 3-inch tall, official printed hard copy of the Los Angeles Yellow Pages, I zeroed in on a colorful two-page advertisement for “Mr. Rooter Man”.
“Yes, we DO work 24/7!” Alfonso beamed over the phone.  “My technician Mandel should be there by 6pm!” he confirmed as I trotted down the street – a “wee” bit hungry, but also in search of a viable ladies room prior to the gentleman’s visit.

“Do you happen to have public facilities?” I asked politely at the restaurant as I was directed to a locked side door after ordering my steak taco with avocado and a Diet Coke as proof that I was an actual paying customer.
“Someone might be in there, but I’m sure it’ll just be a minute” the gal who took my order smiled politely as the entrance finally opened.

“Mmm, mmm, mmm; so sorry Soul Sister for taking the stall too long” the Transvestite in hospital scrubs *snap* apologized to me for monopolizing the “ladies room”.
“No worries!” I waved, rather off-handedly; the least of my troubles for the day.

>>><<< 
Poised for a lovely lunch on the patio ala Audrey Hepburn enjoying a belated breakfast at Tiffany’s, I elegantly placed a napkin on my lap as I patiently awaited my taco. 




However, much to my chagrin, I found myself downwind of the “aroma” of a few homeless fellows, backpacks in hand who were discussing where they used to buy needles in my neighborhood ten years ago, as well as their burgeoning friendship on the bus as they were both apparently just released from prison on parole and headed to camp out on the beach after lunch.
Aw, C’MON!!!

>>><<< 
Suffice it to say, greeting Mandel at my door, accompanied by BOTH Sons of my Deceased Landlord who were obviously concerned with our building maintenance (not to mention the excessive cost of a Plumber on a SUNDAY), I actually offered to split the bill if need be since I had called Mr. Rooter Man on my own.

“Absolutely not” both Sons of Yang shook their heads.  “I should’ve properly fixed your toilet way back when” the Younger Yang hung his head sadly.
“You mean the ‘Great Flu of 2012’?” I nudged him (somewhat) playfully.

>>><<< 
With his trip to and from Home Depot, Mandel straddling the porcelain like a rodeo rider lassoing a stray bull, and with me just trying to stay out of the way, I lurked ala Bela Lugosi as to the infiltration of my bathroom.  (Darn it!  I couldn’t get to my black velvet cape yet again!)



“I’m almost done in here” Mandel announced, as I peered furtively around the corner.  “You work in television, don’t you?!” he queried.  “I know that I know your face!” he alleged with his Smart Phone in hand.
(Oh, FFS...  The World Wide Web can’t spell my name correctly, but my Plumber could ferret out half of my resume on-line?)

“Okay if I use your restroom?” Mandel asked, shutting the door before I could answer.
“Well, Hell’s bells, I’d be downright disappointed if you didn’t!” I muttered to myself, as thus far this whole year, every single maintenance person in my Sanctuary seems to feel the need to mark their territory!

>>><<< 
Awakened at 9am on a day wherein I’ve never EVER been invited to work on my current show, I tried to shake off the drama of the night before as I gratefully accepted an additional day of employment and promised to arrive within two hours.

Even the “Advertising Executive” who lives upstairs (I still think she’s a hooker), managed to throw on a blue terry-cloth towel and consented to moving her car at 10:15am for me to gear up for work!
Unfortunately, my toilet was not so agreeable...

 



Having run, recycled, hissed and haunted me all evening (yet no more Trevi Fountain!), I threw my hands in the air and headed to the studio where “Dramedy” resides in a significantly more controlled environment.
Granted our Lead Actor had just phoned in that he was out ill for the day, which left my fellow Stand-In (April) thrown under the bus to play “the Dad” on the show for rehearsals and Run-Thru; which by default sort of left me standing-in for almost everyone else in the mega-cast of Guest Stars; not to mention the fact that as one of our young Actresses and her Stage Mom were running late to an audition moments  before our delayed in-house performance; our Director had no choice but to toss one of our Second Second ADs into the frying pan of mayhem, who nailed the role most effortlessly.

(Like I said; “Dramedy”, in a lovely controlled sound stage with catered food and working lavatories.  Easy-peasy!)
Yet upon returning home to my humble bat-cave that afternoon, the unwelcome, unrehearsed and unprofessional drama continued.

And thus, in a nutshell, became my bizarre circus of an evening down the drain:
Trotting upstairs, I told Younger Yang face-to-face that the toilet is still running. 

 Younger Yang calls Mr. Rooter Man.  (No show.)  I call Younger Yang again as to possible arrival time? 

Younger Yang tells me that Mr. Rooter Man was supposed to call ME. 

Younger Yang has receipt handy, but suggests that I phone Mr. Rooter Man instead. 
Now throw “Alfonso” into the mix, who tells me that Younger Yang did indeed call, and Mandel was supposed to schedule me at 7pm.  (Alfonso is not sure why not.) 

Alfonso will send “Ed” instead; but usually prefers to have the previous technician (Mandel) on-site as they are already aware of the problem.

“You mean the same guy who screwed it up the first time?” I grimaced.
Next at bat, was none other than Carlos calling (I know that the brilliant voice-over Artist Mel Blanc passed away, but apparently “Speedy Gonzalez” still lives and thrives in Hollywood!).  

Is this Mrs. Pickles?”  (Please share with me, kind readers, yet one more comedic Jack Benny hand-slap to my face?)
 
“Well, not ONE of those titles is correct, but what’ve ya got for me now?” I sighed, momentarily musing how vastly different my life would be if I were 21 years old and pursuing a career as an exotic dancer with THAT pseudonym.  (Interesting costume, to be sure...)

“Oh, I must’ve misread the invoice.  Sorry Mrs. Pickles!” he continued without missing a beat.  “I just wanted to let you know that Ed is going to be late; like maybe 10:30 or 11:00pm.  And since Mandel is already off the clock, maybe you could reschedule Mandel for tomorrow?”
Oh, FFS...

With Ed ‘presumably’ headed my way eventually, my land line rang repeatedly as Mandel had been given a head’s-up notice as to my broken “head” of a toilet.  And incessantly calling me over and over with ‘helpful’ suggestions (i.e., “Can you jiggle the apparatus that I installed?  Maybe push down on the lower half?”) he wondered, as my lavatory began flushing and hissing much louder.  “How about if you move the bottom section directly underneath?” he phoned again and again.
“Or, how about we just full on cancel Ed and YOU can freakin’ DEAL with my Landlord tomorrow while I’m at work?!” I answered flatly for the final time.

Hmmm...
Never knew I had it in me, but note to self -- don’t piss off “Mrs. Pickles”!

As to "Part Three" in this series:  I'm still mid-typing as I attempt to gather my thoughts.  Sometimes, there's just TOO MUCH to write!!!

No comments: